I’m looking forward to sharing new music soon. Until then, I wish you a wonderful and musical 2021. Happy New Year!
After a year that left little time for creative pursuits, The Jerrys have begun making new music and plan to release a new album of original songs. While it’s too early to set a release date, a single from the album will be released this summer. Until then, check out past releases, including The Jerrys at WZRD, last year’s full-length album featuring songs recorded live in the studio at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM.
New Album, The Jerrys at WZRD, Now Available
The Jerrys have released their first-ever live album, The Jerrys at WZRD, recorded live in the studio at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM. Ten songs that aired live on the station during four separate appearances from 2012-2018 comprise the track listing:
1. I Even Love You More Than Elizabeth Hurley (At WZRD Chicago)***
2. Ann Taylor Girl (At WZRD Chicago)****
3. New Wave (At WZRD Chicago)*
4. Space Cadet (At WZRD Chicago)****
5. Be Yourself (At WZRD Chicago)***
6. Let’s Groove (At WZRD Chicago)**
7. The King of I Don’t Care (At WZRD Chicago)*
8. Every Girl (At WZRD Chicago)**
9. Bigger Than Oprah (At WZRD Chicago)*
10. What the World Could Use a Lot More Of (At WZRD Chicago)**
*Original broadcast, 2012; Jerry Schwartz (guitar, lead vocal) and Robert Porche (drums, backing vocal)
**Original broadcast, 2014; Jerry Schwartz (live guitar and live vocals with public appearance mixes)
***Original broadcast, 2016; Jerry Schwartz (guitar, harmonica, lead vocal), Robert Porche (drums, backing vocal), and Jim Losby (bass guitar, backing vocal)
****Original broadcast, 2018; Jerry Schwartz (guitar, harmonica, lead vocal) , Robert Porche (drums, backing vocal), Jim Losby (bass guitar, backing vocal)
All words and music by Jerry Schwartz
As summer nears, here’s a quick update on my band and the live album to be released in the coming weeks:
- Production and postproduction work have been completed for a new live album. The Jerrys at WZRD will consist of ten songs recorded over four separate performances recorded live in the studio at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM. I’m currently working on the album art and will post the final track listing when that is available. The album will be released in early summer.
- I began recording for a new single by The Jerrys. I like where it’s going, and I’m enjoying making it. There’s no release date at this time.
- The Jerrys are now on Instagram, so be sure to check out The Jerrys on Instagram. You can also visit The Jerrys’ Facebook page or follow The Jerrys on Twitter.
- On May 16, I performed a set with The Jerrys at Rabid Brewing in Homewood, Illinois. It was the first time we played out this year, as well as our first time at that venue (photo). Later that evening, I played solo with a borrowed guitar before being joined on stage by others, including Robert Porche.
For the record, since starting this post I wrote another tune and will begin recording that one soon. There’s always more music on the way!
Nothing ever the same
that’s how things go
You’re not even who you
were a picosecond ago
You can’t step in the same
river twice and all that
No past, no future,
now is where it’s at
In the blink of an eye
the morning is noon
One minute it’s March
and next thing
it’s already June
Time and tide wait for no man
and all that biz
No then, no later,
now is all there is and
At the end of the day
time doesn’t know
Who’s still hanging around:
it stays and the people go
Time flies and life’s too short
and all that stuff
Don’t waste your time cause
life is short enough
And everyone knows
Words and music ©2018 by Jerry Schwartz
All instruments and vocals by Jerry Schwartz
It’s been a busy summer! As we welcome this first day of fall, here’s the latest news regarding The Jerrys:
- On September 28 at 8:30 pm, The Jerrys will play at Mama and Me Pizzeria in Homewood, Illinois. Join us Friday night for music and fun!
- Following the release of The Wind Cries Jerrys (6-song EP) earlier this year, The Jerrys will release a new single in the next several months. Details to come.
- It’s official: The Jerrys will release a live album sometime in 2019. Preliminary work has already been done for this new release, recorded live during multiple appearances at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM.
I look forward to sharing more music from The Jerrys soon. Until then, happy fall!
The Jerrys played on Thursday Night Live at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM on April 26, 2018. The 10-song set included new music from The Wind Cries Jerrys, covers of songs by Tommy James & the Shondells and The Kinks, and power pop songs pulled from the Jerrys’ catalog:
1. Be Yourself
2. Anna Marie
3. I Even Love You More Than Elizabeth Hurley
4. Ann Taylor Girl
5. New Wave
6. Hanky Panky
7. Space Cadet
8. Chicago USA
9. Every Girl
10. Where Have All the Good Times Gone?
Those familiar with the Chicago punk scene will recognize the drum head as the one used for Silver Abuse, as Robert Porche also plays with that band. Stay tuned for a new and improved drum head, as well as a possible live album later this year from The Jerrys.
The Jerrys will play live at WZRD Chicago on April 26
My band The Jerrys will play live in the studio at WZRD Chicago 88.3 FM on April 26. I hope you’ll tune in at 10 PM Central as Robert Porche (drums, backing vocals), Jim Losby (bass guitar, backing vocals), and I play ten songs live, including songs from the newly released EP, The Wind Cries Jerrys.
New music from The Jerrys!
The Wind Cries Jerrys, a six-song EP containing all new music from The Jerrys, is now available on CD as well as downloads and streaming. From power pop (“Ms Wonderful,” “Chicago USA,” “Anna Marie”) to uke-pop (“Another Glorious Day”) to strummy goodness (“Doo-Doo-Doo-Doo”) to who-knows-what (“I Think About You”), it’s all here. Listeners compare The Jerrys to The Beatles, Boyce and Hart, The Who, Matthew Sweet, Tommy Keene, and The Shoes.
The first song on the EP was released as a free download last year: “Chicago USA” is the latest song about that city, as well as a tribute to “Downtown” and “I Know a Place,” both made popular by Petula Clark. Here’s the full track listing:
01. Chicago USA (2:33)
02. Doo-Doo-Doo-Doo (4:03)
03. I Think About You (2:59)
04. Ms. Wonderful (2:48)
05. Another Glorious Day (3:49)
06. Anna Marie (2:36)
Several friends helped out on various tracks, and I am grateful to Robert Porche (drums), Jim Losby (bass guitar), and John Oakley (lead guitar) for sharing their talents. They’re awesome.
As of this date, full digital distribution (iTunes, Spotify, etc) is still a few days away, but you can head over to CD Baby or the band website to buy the CD or download the EP or individual tracks. Get the latest from The Jerrys!
The release date for The Wind Cries Jerrys, a six-song effort by The Jerrys, has been moved to early 2018. Originally scheduled to release this month, the EP took more time to record than I’d planned—backing vocals in particular. The good news is that, after recording 43 tracks during the past week, all recording has been completed, and it’s on to mixing and mastering. Here’s the track listing:
- Chicago USA
- I Think About You
- Ms. Wonderful
- Another Glorious Day
- Anna Marie
Earlier this year, “Chicago USA” was released ahead of the EP and is available to stream or download. Check it out, and stay tuned for more music from The Jerrys.